Magicofmath.org is committed to protecting the privacy of our users. As a service of the Akamai Foundation, a non-profit organization, this site is not operated for commercial purposes. We can therefore limit our collection and use of information to only what is necessary to enable us to provide responsible and quality content for kids. Our information collection practices are described below. We urge kids to check with their parents before entering information on any website and we urge parents to discuss with their kids restrictions regarding the online release of personal information to anyone they don't know.
Information Collection and Use
At Magicofmath.org, it is our policy to create website content that relies on minimal collection of information from our visitors.
- The use of much of our site does not require the collection of any user information. For instance, in order to visit our "Figure it Out" section or to access information about math books, web sites and competitions a user does not need to provide any information about himself or herself.
- For participation in our "Cool Ideas" submission section or our "Ask a Math Whiz" program, we do require users to provide limited information along with their submission or request. In these instances a first name is required, and a user may optionally include the initial of their last name and their city, state and email address (an email address is required for participation in "Ask a Math Whiz").
- If a user's submission is posted at our site (e.g. an idea, a joke or a problem), he or she will be identified only by first name and, if it has been provided, last name initial, city and state.
- If a user has asked to correspond with a Math Whiz, our tutors will use the email address to respond to the user's question or to initiate contact with the user to arrange for extended tutoring. Magicofmath.org will always obtain parental permission before any in-person tutoring occurs. We believe that our volunteer Math Whizzes have a lot to offer aspiring mathematicians, but we urge all children to get their parents' permission before participating in this program, even if all tutoring will be done on-line.
- Other than as described above, Magicofmath.org will not use the information a user provides to our site. For example, because our site is not operated for commercial purposes, we will never sell, market, trade or otherwise share any of this information with third parties, except to assist us in providing you services you want. In those cases, we will limit the sharing of this information only to that necessary to carry out those services, and with the understanding that the information will not be used for any other purpose. We will also never pass email contact information obtained in connection with the "Ask a Math Whiz" tutoring program on to any person unless that person is registered with the Akamai Foundation as a tutor.
Cookies and Log Data
Let Us Know
- Cookies are information files that your web browser places on your computer when you visit a website. A website is able to access only the cookies that it sets on your computer and it is only able to determine information about your computer, such as the type of operating system and browser that you and other visitors are using. We would collect this type of information only in order to improve access to our content based on things like our users' browsers and operating system types.
- We will not link the information collected through cookies to any information that users submit online when participating in our activities.
- You can always disable cookies on your computer by indicating this in the preferences or options menu in your browser.
- Log data collected on our web servers could supply us with aggregate information about the number of visits to different pages on our site. We would use this information only for improving our site. We will not link the log data collected to any information that a user submits online when participating in our activities.
Protecting our users' privacy and creating a safe and responsible web site environment for children is very important to us. If you believe that we have failed to live up to our commitments, or that your personal information is otherwise being misused, we want to know about it. In such a case please submit your concern using our "Cool Ideas" submission form and we will work expeditiously to investigate your concerns and to resolve the problem.
Changes to our Policy
As our site grows and changes we may in the future expand the types of information we collect, always for the purpose of making your experience better. You should check back at this policy frequently since it is subject to change from time to time.
Copyright 2003 magicofmath.org